Local News Links:... .........................

Wednesday 1 July 2020

Write up on Heritage Winnipeg's Blog

https://heritagewinnipeg.com/blogs/christian-cassidy-a-voice-for-hidden-heritage/

Thanks to heritage Winnipeg for taking an interest in my blogging and why I do what I do. I was recently featured in a recent post on the Heritage Winnipeg Blog.

It was a long, wide reaching conversation with the author so I had no idea what they were going to take from it and run with. I am pretty happy with the result, (though I really have to work on being more succinct when I speak - some of my quotes are nonsensical.)

One things I wanted to get across was my criticism of some heritage advocates / groups / officials for putting an inordinate amount of time, energy and money into telling the history of a small number of buildings in a tiny number of neighbourhoods over and over again whilst ignoring people, places and events in the rest of the city.

Why have we done a shitty job telling the stories of everyday people, particularly people of colour, in this city? It is because the Len Fairchuks and Percy Haynes’ of our town did not run a company from the penthouse of a five-storey office building in the Exchange District or live in a 2,500 square foot pile in Fort Rouge


We can do a lot better.

No comments: