(Image source: Veterans Affairs Canada)
In the history department, I'll talk about the Assiniboine Park steam train that turns 50 next week, the St. Charles Hotel, which turns 101, and the Kildonan Park Golf Course, Winnipeg's oldest municipal course. In July 1936 the Canadian Vimy Memorial in France was unveiled by King George VIII and we'll hear his address to the nation on that day.
Music by Gordon Lightfoot, Boats, Kathleen Edwards, Rod Stewart and the Grease soundtrack.
- A history of the St. Charles Hotel - The Bob Hope - Kildonan Park Golf Course urban myth - A history of the Assiniboine Park miniature steam railway and more about the 50th anniversary celebration. - For more about the history of Virden. Manitoba. - More on the Canadian Vimy Memorial at VAC and CBC Archives. - The death of Manitoba provincial Police Chief Richard Power - Bomber Mascot of the late 1950s Teddy the Chimp. - More about Winnipeg-born Terry Fox
- Watch Milt Stegall's 138th touchdown and accompanying ceremony
- Heritage Winnipeg's new blog and membership drive with $100s of dollars in prizes !
- 2nd Annual Carberry Heritage Festival - Aug 8 and 9, 2014
- The Winnipeg Trolley Company's Heart of the Nation trolley tours continue until the end of September.
- Canadian Railway Trilogy by Gordon Lightfoot
- Never Give Up On a Dream by Rod Stewart
- Summercamp vs The Fake Moustache Tree by Boats
- Summer Nights by Olivia Newton John and John Travolta
- Wapusk by Kathleen Edwards