Sadly, the new owners of the Norris Block (former Aqua Books) on Garry Street painted over the "J. Norris - Tailor" sign on the side of the building. (Apparently it's going to be a restaurant / bar.)
Norris Tailors was created in 1921 by John Norris Sr.. His son, John Jr., followed in his father's footsteps but World War II interrupted. Norris was captured at the battle of Hong Kong and spent the remainder of the war in a POW camp. Due to his rank he was singled out for torture that he never did recover from, (his perpetrator was eventually put to death at a war tribunal.)
Upon his return to Winnipeg in 1943, he spent months in hospital but did recover enough to run the family business. He was also the driving force behind the creation of the Hong Kong Veterans Association.
Captain John Norris died at the shop in 1949 at the age of 44.
For a history of the Norris Block. For more of the story of Captain John Norris.