Local News Links:... .........................

Wednesday 10 November 2010

The remarkable Winnipeg Soldier's Relatives' Memorial

Leg
Each year around Remembrance Day I try to feature  a person, place or event from Winnipeg's war past. Sadly, with Afghanistan, the 'past' is not very long ago.

On my Downtown Places blog this week I feature the Winnipeg Soldier's Relatives' Memorial at Broadway and Osborne. (You can also see my Free Press column about it here.) It's an often overlooked memorial but was once the focal point for Remembrance in Winnipeg, especially for smaller, personal ceremonies. 

Remarkably, it carries the name of every Winnipegger killed in World War I, a list that took a couple of years of public campaigning and research to compile.

Some of my past Remembrance posts:

- The Life and Death Of William Harvey May 2008 (95 yrs ago !)
- R.I.P Harry Patch Aug 2009

Tomorrow
Photos: Manitoba War Memorials

No comments: