Local News Links:... .........................

Sunday 6 June 2021

53 Maryland Street carries on as a pizzaria

Many people were saddened last year when the iconic Bella Vista Restaurant at 53 Maryland Street closed. Given that a ten-storey seniors home is going up right next door, some, including me, wondered if the building itself would survive or get swallowed up by the new development.

Work has been going on inside the building for some weeks now and I noticed this sign on Saturday morning. Shorty's Pizza is (now) a chain. The other location is in Hamilton, ON!

Shorty's will continue 53 Maryland Street's 53-year run as a pizza joint that started back in in 1968 with Gondola Pizza.

You can read more about the building's history, which dates back to 1907, on my Winnipeg Places blog.

2 comments:

John Dobbin said...

A good news story! By the slice sounds good. Did they look like they have a service window?

Christian Cassidy said...

I didn't look long enough. I was just stopped at a light when I snapped the photo.

I hope they planned for that. Even put a temporary pass-through in the door or something like that.