Local News Links:... .........................

Friday 8 June 2018

My last Free Press column

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/biographies/372459332.html

My column in last Sunday’s Winnipeg Free Press was my last.

I’ve been writing the column since September 2014 and felt it was time to step away so that I could redirect some of the dozens of hours of research and writing time that went into each piece towards other pursuits, including my personal life.

My hat goes off to those in the news industry who deal with the constant drumbeat of deadlines. How people with more demanding ones than I had don’t end up going bat-shit crazy after a couple of years is beyond me.

The goal of my research is to tell the stories of the people, places and events that shaped this province but never made it into the history books. I’m proud to say that I was able to do that in most of my columns, which are now part of a permanent archive for others to read and, hopefully, expand upon. (If my math is correct, there were 64 columns filling 128 broadsheet pages with text and images.)

I want to thank the Winnipeg Free Press, Margo Goodhand at the time, for reaching out to encourage me to write a column and for giving me such a ridiculous amount of space to work with.

Thanks to everyone who read and commented on my columns over the years. My work will continue on my blogs and in other places!

Christian

2 comments:

Tyyne Petrowski said...

Wishing you all the best! Enjoyed providing occasional material related to your research when I was still at the U of M Archives (pre-2016) - and I continue to enjoy the content you've produced in the Free Press as well as here on the blog.

ve4mm said...

Loved all your writing and now in the Real Estate paper.

1266 College almost done.................happy!