Local News Links:... .........................

Sunday 24 May 2015

Preview of today's Free Press Column: Fallen Airmen


My column in today's Winnipeg Free Press started on a Jane's Walk of Elmwood cemetery earlier this month.

While strolling around, I noticed this headstone for two men buried together. It reads: “In memory of George O Mackie, aged 22 years (pilot) and Leonard Blackwell, aged 19 years (engineer) who lost their lives in Lake Winnipeg while on a rescue flight, August 17, 1934. Greater love hath no man than this.” It includes the logo of their employer, North West Aero and Marine.


My curiosity got the best of me and I knew I simply had to find out what the back story was. 

These are some additional links and photos that could not be included in the article, including more details about the de Havilland DH.60X Moth.

July 10, 1931, Winnipeg Tribune

August 27, 1934, Winnipeg Free Press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLIA-A0dQ8
Remembering Stevenson Field (video)

Forestry Plane
Bush pilot in action

No comments: