...........................

Thursday, 16 June 2011

Vancouver's social media riot


That's Tourism Vancouver's motto and, well, last night was definitely spectacular.

I wasn't there but my two cents worth is that I was surprised at the number of people involved in it. Yes, the media talking point of city officials is "a small number of thugs / hooligans" but that really wasn't the case. Just as audience members at a sports event or concert are part of the event so were the tens of thousands of audience members at last night's event.

Bruins win the Stanley Cup
(c) refreshement66 on Flickr

Countless amateur photographers, videographers, Tweet-reporters ensured that the spotlight fueled the fires and egos of the core rioters and drunken wannabes, not to mention kept emergency workers at bay.


Today there is an interesting editorial on The Tyee today. In A Social Media Riot Made for TV, Mark Leiren-Young writes that the "lust for digital attention" was a key driving force of crowds.

It's something I have seen locally on a smaller scale.

Ambulance

I work near a busy intersection in the downtown and on a couple of occasions heard an accident and a couple of minutes later saw maybe one or two motorists helping but three or four passers by standing on the median actively 'capturing the moment' on their smart phones.

The worst thing I saw was a guy lying on the ground just inside a park. I was on the sidewalk across the street so couldn't tell what exactly the issue was. There was nobody helping the guy but there were two passers by using their smart phones (and not the phone part to call 911) and one taking a picture with a point and shoot camera.

Yes ! Document that for your friends. Maybe he'll end up dying and you'll get a great souvenir to add to your Flickr page. Pats on the back from your friends for getting that great shot while, of course, tossing in a throwaway line expressing sympathy for that 'poor guy'.


20110615 Vancouver riots
Photo (c) Jonathan Chiang, Flickr

In an age where anyone with a smartphone can consider themselves a 'citizen journalist' does that mean we can avoid civic responsibility ?

A photo site for riot pictures on Flick has over 16,000 members so far and there are numerous riot facebook pages. I imagine that if you asked each "front line citizen reporter" they would vehemently claim that "I want's part of the riot" when, actually, they were.

And, sadly, those thousands will be there to be part of the next public event that could become violent or to capture a guy lying face down on a sidewalk.

After all, I am not a citizen - I'm a citizen journalist.

3 comments:

TRex said...

I have a smart phone, often run a Flip on the windshield of my vehicle and pack a digital camera in the back but that does not mean I am obliged to act on everything I witness. If I were to capture something illegal or dangerous I would make that image or video available to the best suited authority, but I am not my brothers keeper.

Anonymous said...

On the one hand, photographers are castigated for being present and taking photos: on the other hand, the police ask photographers to provide their photos to help identify and prosecute the criminals in the crowd.

Vancouver Social Media said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.