...........................

Wednesday, 9 March 2011

The 'comicification' of the broadsheet newspaper


On Last week's Winnipeg Internet Pundits we tossed around what the introduction of Metro will mean to the local media landscape. The agreement was 'not much', aside from perhaps some eating out of the Winnipeg Sun's breakfast bowl. (OMC has more on that here).


L to R: 1939s, 1900s, 2000s

Sort of related, the Free Press updated their archive wall in the MTS Centre not so long ago. Gone are the individual photos in favour of more front page scans.
They have included newspaper fronts from all eras and you can really see how the paper has devolved into almost a comic book cover.


Even just go back less than a decade (this, I believe, is 1991) and what a change !

5 comments:

One Man Committee said...

It's almost startling to look at a Free Press cover and see articles. I guess that dates back to a time before broadsheets tried to be tabloids.

Melissa said...

In all honesty, and I swear to goodness this is my absolute personal and honest opinion and completely divested of my employment, I actually really enjoy the current front page layout.

I'd actually compare it more to a website than a comic -- it's sort of, here's the key points, here's where you "click" to read 'em.

But mostly, when I'm looking at it historically, I find something intriguing about how the graphic-heavy front page sort of provides a one-stop visual narrative to the stories, issues and ideas of the day.

It elevates the photojournalism, and lets the pictures do more of the talking on the newsstand. That concept appeals to me, a lot -- it feels like more great pics get a chance to shine in colour now than on the papers of my youth.

cherenkov said...

I wouldn't want to go back to the 1900 format.

mrchristian said...

The 1900 format would be great reading on a bus, though, You could go for 45 minutes without flipping the page !

I've never liked the 'website thing' as a format for the newspaper. Photos are nice but it's still usually just the one original photo that appears on the front page - just like back in the 1980s.

I'd really like to see a revamped version the the early 90s' - something with at a bit of content to get your teeth into.

Sean Carney said...

Newspapers vs online content:

If you can't beat 'em, imitate 'em.

It would be nice to actually see some text on the front page of the newspaper, and in an odd way it could be cost cutting measure. They could drop a quarter of a sheet per printing by skipping the 'ads' for articles.