I know, I am sort of 'phoning it in' with dumplings of late. A combo of the nice weather, the general strike blog and other commitments has put my ability to create long-winded posts on the back burner for a bit.
Here are a few tidbits that caught my eye today....
1. "9-1-1, what raw emotion would you like ?" Man, I'm not sure if I would want to work at the 911 monument offices creating THE ground zero monument in New York. Intense grief on an international scale. Conspiracy theorists abound. Political posturing at all three levels. What a horrible stew that would be.
There are some updated pics of the monument on the NY Times blogs page.
2. Stonewall Our uprising's 90th anniversary has passed. The City of New York has released new police documents about a more recent event in their city: the Stonewall Uprising.
3. F1 in Parc Fermé ? Is this just smoke ? This isn't the first time the owners have used the threat of creating a rival series to pull Mad Max and the FIA into line. Like most big budget sports F1 has it's share of problems. I'm not sure if going it on their own would solve many of them.
Of course, the more races, (or threat thereof), the better chance Montréal has of getting theirs back. I've been there at Grand Prix time and the two go hand in glove.
4. "Job Lock" Does our healthcare system make Canadian cities more innovative than their U.S counterparts? According to this Retuers story, "job lock" is becoming an increasing problem in the US.. People who might jump to a better firm, start a company of their own, or become freelancers are increasingly staying at their old job just to retain health benefits. This lack of 'entrepreneurial movement' is only expected to get worse.
5. Built Heritage, Meet Bulldozer The Chinese are catching on to N. American style urban renewal. Bye historical districts - bring on the giant malls !