...........................

Tuesday, 17 February 2009

Congrats to Manitoba's Information Station

The local news gruel at Manitoba's Information Station has been Saran-Wrap thin since they did a stint without reporters. Frog and I both noted in the past that that they were down to pretty much Canadian wire stories.

This morning was an interesting newscast as well.

I tuned in at 8:30 and heard: A story on US dollar/stock market woes in NY; a story on the ongoing investigation of the NY plane crash last week; a story on the Obama stimulus plan (with audio clip form ABC News Washington); a story on the bush fire death toll in Australia reaching 200 (with audio clip form ABC News); a reading of the price of gold and the dollar and that was it.

Uh, oh. Don't tell me they cancelled the Canadian Press subscription ;-)


I do notice on their website that two local news stories have a reporters byline. Could local news be coming back to OB ?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange. I'll have to switch back to CJOB. CBC radio news is full of minor traffic collisions and local crime, with not a mention of national or international news, which is what CBC should be doing instead of reporting muggings and fender-benders.

kid zubaz said...

CBC does more national/international news at the first ten minutes at the top of the hour than you'll hear in six hours worth of CJOB.

OB doesn't even care anymore...I guess Vic Grant ran the numbers and figured that the station can coast on brain-dead open-line filler and Hedy Lewis commercials until he retires, at which point it becomes someone else's problem.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, kid zubaz, perhaps it's the time of day I'm listening to CBC that has given me the impression it offers mostly local-yokel material. I'll check it out. I am aware of the World At Six, etc., but during the early p.m. I hear repeated updates of muggings and fender-benders.

Never Eat Yellow Snow said...

They still don't have reporters per se that go out into the field and report but the newsreaders do make some calls and write stories for the web site. That's probably what you are seeing.

Anonymous said...

I find myself not even tuning in to CJOB anymore. Marty Gold is the only reason I still listen to the radio.

mrchristian said...

I find the last couple of news broadcasts 5:30 and just before 6 on CBC radio they seem to be in wind-down mode and get heavy on the traffic and things like that. It's still hands down the most news you'll get on radio in Winnipeg. (especially if you include the noon hour show).

kid - I guess you're right about the OB attitude. They still have a brand, though, that they're allowing to tarnish. I've been sort of expecting - since the reporters are gone - an announcement about a format change to , say, a mix of oldies music and chit chat from the 'all talk' format but it's never happened. Maybe it's still coming.

As for Gold, I don't consider him news as much as I do an 'audio blog'. It is an interesting mix of the two, though. It would be interesting to have more shows like that - a sort of VPW audio version.

mrchristian said...

...actually if cre-com were to set it's students loose and have a group of them rotate doing stories all year round THAT would make for a very good show.

Anonymous said...

CJOB does indeed have two reporters out in the field during the week... John Copsey and Clay Young are splitting reporter duties at CJOB.