...........................

Thursday, 29 January 2009

So, just how cold is it up thar in Winny-pague ?

Heh.

With Texas-raised Renée Zellweger and New Orleans-raised Harry Connick Jr. in the midst of their media tour for “New In Town" filmed here in the 'Peg, I've been getting a chuckle about some of the media hits Winnipeg has been getting.


There's also some video shots: the trailer and prepping the Richardson International Airport for a scene (and Zelleweger doing a butt-plant).

A few quotes and sources:

According to Harry Connick Jr., winter in Canada counts as a fifth season. While filming the romantic comedy "New in Town" in Winnipeg last January, the actor's face, beard and eyelashes froze in the subzero temperature. "This was just a different level. I mean, for real," Connick Jr. said .... "You can't function. ... I mean, this is the kind of weather where if you stay out there, you're not gonna make it, you know?" (AP)

"It was so cold that you're taking your life into your own hands to go out of the house. My worst moment while making the film was nostricles, which are not sexy. You don't know that your nose is running because you can't feel it," she said. "It just freezes before you realise you need a Kleenex. Boy, I tell you, that's funny."
(News24 S.Africa)

Fallon Hogan doesn't say if she prayed for more warmth while shooting during the bitter Winnipeg, Canada, winter, but she could have used it. "The scene I do with Renée on the porch where I have to cry, which I was dreading because you want to make sure your dramatic scene goes well. . . . So it goes well. And it's 56 below zero. It's insane.
( LA Times)

For ...Zellweger, the Winnipeg-shot ''New In Town'' was an education in endurance. ''I didn't know cold like that existed,'' she says. ''All I can say is: Don't go to Winnipeg between October and March without four parkas.

''I'd look outside and think, 'Where is the road?' Because you can't see the road. 'I guess there is no driving today.' But that's not the case. Everybody just gets up and gets on with life. It's just commonplace that your face freezes within two seconds of stepping out the door.''
(mcall.com - Allentown PA)

Connick: "No, it wasn't so tough. But I've never experienced anything like it. There was a quality to the air - it's Arctic air. Winnipeg is the coldest city in Canada."
newsday.com

"Then you start to realize about the layers of clothes that are absolutely necessary, the sticky hand warmers they slapped on my back, in my shoes, up my skirt, also absolutely necessary.Was I prepared for it? You know, not so much." Shooting a film in and around Winnipeg, Manitoba, in winter was illuminating to Zellweger, 39. "I didn't realize that yes, you really do need the coat that looks like a duvet. Everyone was walking around in their Herman Munster boots, and I'd laugh: 'They look like Gene Simmons, 10 inches off the ground!' But you NEED them.

"You adapt. I found this to be a bit of an adventure, you know? Your priorities change. It's EXCITING to finally make it into the Starbucks after you've walked six blocks. In fact, let me just say that Starbucks saved my life on a couple of occasions. "Every day's a new challenge. 'Can we get this scene finished before the lens freezes over?' 'How long until the next lightbulb explodes in the cold?'
Orlando Sentinel

MoviesOnline: People knew you were in town Harry, so during your down time did you go to the clubs and jam?

Connick: I really didn’t because there were two reasons. I was there to do work. I tried to prepare as much as I could. It was so freaking cold that I never left the hotel. It really wasn’t a whole lot going on. Is that safe to say? The music scene?

Zellweger: It’s huge. It has a great history.

Connick: But I’m talking about the music scene. I don’t remember there being a lot of club opportunities to play.

Zellweger: Huge underground.

Connick: I don’t remember if Harry said “There is a jam session over here.” I probably would have gone. I don’t’ remember there being any coinciding with my time there.

Zellweger (on Winnipeg): It was highly entertaining and very educational. I didn’t know cold like that, it was a whole different kind of experience. It was a marvelous exercise in developing new survival skills. It was a whole new language for the biological things that happen.

Connick: It’s not a question of sticking with you, it’s a question of sticking on you, and it’s so cold. You should know. Why you would live in that town? The people are amazing but let’s just be real. It’s not human to live in a town like that, that’s just crazy cold.

Hogan: I went out all the time. I said “This is not going to stop me.” I learned that you have to bend your knees when you walk because it’s so icy you don’t want to fall and break something. I loved the people and it was great. It’s a great city.

Zellweger: There were so many things about that place that were so charming. I loved the ice sculpture downtown. That was great. Waiting for the snow to compile and harden I suppose, that took probably 30 minutes. That was fantastic. The tenacity of the people was just so impressive... Everybody just gets up and they get on with it like it’s normal. It’s just commonplace that your face freezes within two seconds of stepping outside of the door.

Connick: But again, for the record, it’s not normal. There is no semblance of normalcy about that at all.
moviesonline

RZ on Letterman:

4 comments:

Fat Arse said...

Somebody should have told Connick what I tell my kids everyday on the walk to school: "Suck-it-up, it build character1"

mrchristian said...

No doubt ! i hope he's not like that in every city he travels to ! Too cold, too hot, too rainy, too noisy ...

Mr. Nobody said...

Oh oh, there goes Destination Winnipeg's budget.

mrchristian said...

Oddly, i just noticed today that DW DOES have a website called

http://incrediblycool.ca/