...........................

Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Yes they can ...

There are not many times in your life that you can say you saw History (with a capital H !) in the making. Tonight was one of those nights.
Having watched a fair bit of the campaign; the speeches, the rallies, the commentary, I felt that this was different than any other campaign that I have seen in my lifetime, at least on this side of the ocean.

Normally, people would now go back to their day jobs, plop down on their rumps and say "okay, now what can YOU do for me". I think this is different. Watching the faces, the crowds and the great acceptance speech tonight, I think there's more.

Imagine if just 15% of those people that voted took Obama's words "It can't happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice" to heart ? Whether they be clerks at a health clinic in Harlem, an office worker in Chicago or live near a community centre in Los Angeles. What if they decided to head down there tomorrow and make a difference in their community ?!

I am a big believer in attitude. I know it's the cool / urban chic thing nowadays to be cynical toward everything. (I think Winnipeg has more than the national average of that, where any positive suggestion will get you at least a dozen reasons why it can't / won't / shouldn't be done). I think that Obama has a powerful message and influence that could really make a change at the community and, in turn, the national level.

He's inherited a hell of a mess. I wish him luck. I wish Americans the best.

"This is our moment....And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people: Yes, we can."

Also see this post

No comments: