...........................

Thursday, 23 October 2008

Aww, man, I just got used to blogging ....

I've never been much of a cutting edge person when it comes to technology. I'm not a complete Luddite but there are old fashioned things that I enjoy. I still keep a pencil and paper daytimer / to do list. Despite the fact that my workplace is awash with Blackberries I don't use one - my mobile phone is nice for emergencies and make the few quick calls I need while running about but I don't use it for gabbing. l still find it easier to simply throw a tape in the VCR to record something.

I don't miss not having the latest and greatest and, as an advantage, by the time I do move up to get a stand-alone DVD player and a flat screen television I should be able to pick each up for about a tenth of what they cost when they first hit the market !!

My one 'great' achievement is the blogoshphere. Granted, I started off with my own site and reverted to blogspot when I couldn't get my own page to do what I wanted. Nonetheless, the fact that I have two active blogs on the go makes me sound sort of 'hip to tha' jive" of the 21st century, even though my house, car and most of the toys around me aren't.

Imagine my dismay after reading a couple of recent items proclaiming that blogging may be passé. Wired says "Twitter, Flickr, Facebook Make Blogs Look So 2004" & Ian Sample of The Guardian also weighs in with "Has blogging had its day?"

Sigh... well, I am up on Facebook and have a pro Flickr account so that gives me a bit of a leg up but Twitter ?! I've heard it mentioned a few times, especially during the campaign, but I willfully chose to ignore it - what i don't need is yet another on-line site to update. I guess at some point soon I am going to have to check into it, or better yet, ask someone who already understands it and can tell me what it's about about.

In the meantime, my blog is staying put !! Likely until the rest of the blogoshphere crumbles around it from old age and all that's left are me and a couple of old ladies posting their favourite recipes and crochet patterns !

2 comments:

donaldstreet said...

All these Twitters and facebooks and blogs....they will look like the first movies of the film era. Consider how the films from 1895 to 1908 look today.

Windows 95 till today....ha! We've only begun to experiment with the medium and can't even guess at what the message will be.

Conceited Jerk said...

They can have all the pretty, sparkly, fancy-dancy web 2.0/3.0 apps they want, but in the end, it's all just window dressing and fluff, adding absolutely no real meaning to the message.

Mind you, I still live in the dark ages and hand code all my HTML :)