...........................

Monday, 7 July 2008

Stephen Truscott


Forty-nine years after it began, the Stephen Truscott saga has come to a close with the announcement of $6.5 million in compensation earlier today.

Initially I thought wow, that's a low amount. Just consider his lost income during all that time he sat in jail. Still, he considers it to be the final step so I am not going to get into that.


While growing up my parents had the groundbreaking Isabel LeBourdais book and I read it when I was 12 or so. I remember being shocked - this kid was only two years older than me when sentenced to death.

I've kept up with much of the media on him over the years and had a chance to meet him and Jim Lockyer of the Association in Defence of the Wrongly Convicted at the Fort Garry a few years back. What I find admirable is how mild mannered and 'normal' Truscott is. To be jailed at 14, eventually released then to go start a family under an assumed name for 30 years .... I think most people would have been too screwed to up to do any of that, eaten up by rage and self pity.

Hats off to him and his family that after all this time. I feel bad for the Harpers, though. They'll never know who killed their 12 year old Lynn and likely never will. They've had a life sentence as well.

Other cases that the ADWC has been involved with:

Closed:
Wilfred Beaulieu
Gordon Folland
Peter Frumusa
Clayton Johnson
Kulaveerasingam Karthiresu
Donald Marshall Jr.
Richard McArthur
Michael McTaggart
Felix Michaud
Guy Paul Morin
Wilson Nepoose
Richard Norris
Gregory Parsons
Benoit Proulx
Thomas Sophonow
Gary Staples
Donzel Young

Current:
Robert Baltovich
Christopher Bates
Wilbert Coffin
William Mullins-Johnson
Dr. Smith
Romeo Phillion
Steven Truscott
Kyle Unger
Erin Walsh

1 comment:

vabna islam said...

Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
Riverbank condo review